Crewe
Nub News Logo
Nub News

Nine new homes proposed close to Crewe petrol station

Local News by Belinda Ryan - Local Democracy Reporter & Ryan Parker - Crewe & Nantwich Nub News Chief Reporter 3 minutes ago  
The site on Newcastle Road, Shavington, close to Esso petrol station (Photo: CEC Planning).
The site on Newcastle Road, Shavington, close to Esso petrol station (Photo: CEC Planning).
advertisement

Up to nine homes are proposed for a site in the open countryside in Shavington, located close to a petrol station.

Planning permission was granted for 39 dwellings on the field to the south-west of Newcastle Road in 2014, but the development didn't go ahead.

Two subsequent applications, one for 44 affordable dwellings in 2018 and another for 40 affordable in 2020, were refused following changes to national and local planning policy.

PWA Planning, which is representing applicants Mr and Mrs Wootton for this latest proposal, argues the 2014 approval demonstrates the principle of residential development on the site has historically been accepted.

Regarding the two applications which were refused, it argues they related to materially different proposals in terms of scale, form and supporting information compared to the current submission.

Planning permission was granted for 39 dwellings on the field to the south-west of Newcastle Road in 2014, but the development didn't go ahead (Photo: Google).

In a statement submitted with the application, PWA Planning says: "The current proposal seeks permission in principle (PIP) for up to nine dwellings and therefore represents a materially different form of development in both scale and potential impacts.

"Whilst some of the previous reasons for refusal relate to detailed design and technical matters to be addressed at the TDC (technical details consent) stage, it is also relevant to note that the current proposal does not involve the demolition of the existing buildings where a minor bat roost was previously identified."

advertisement

PIP is a two-stage mechanism for obtaining planning approval for housing development.

This first stage is to establish whether the site is suitable in principle.

That limits the scope for consideration to location, land use and the amount of development.

If PIP is granted, the site must receive a grant of technical details consent before development can proceed.

The statement from PWA Planning says although the proposal conflicts with planning policy because it is in the open countryside, the council only has a 3.3-year supply of housing land, as against the required five-year supply.

It adds: "The proposal would make a positive contribution to housing delivery within the borough at a time of acknowledged shortfall.

"The site is also considered to be in a broadly sustainable location, where opportunities to support sustainable transport can be maximised, and the scheme would deliver economic and social benefits through construction activity, local expenditure, and the provision of new homes."

The last date for submitting comments is Wednesday 17 June.

advertisement

     

CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
crewe vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: crewe jobs

     

Can we count on you? Local news is the heartbeat of Crewe
— it needs your support.

For less than the price of a cup of coffee each month,
you can help us keep telling the stories that matter to Crewe.
Support local journalism. Protect your community.

Thank you to those of you that have already contributed.
Monthly supporters will enjoy:
Ad-free experience
advertisement

Share:

Comments (0)

Post comment

No comments yet!


advertisement

Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide crewe with more and more clickbait-free news.

     

...or become a Supporter.
Crewe. Your Town. Your News.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
Your donation makes a real difference.
For monthly donators:
Ad-free experience